We are in a house in Pearland, Texas, just south of Houston. It’s different. Different than living on a boat. Different than being on the water. Different than being all alone 8000 miles from home!
The kids spend a lot of time at our house.
They were so serious, but all the ladies loved them.
We plan to travel again, but so far we have been busy getting settled. Tomorrow we finally get that big shipment from the boat!
January or February we are thinking of taking a cruise. In June we are taking a road trip with Jackie and Alan to our niece’s wedding in Illinois. September or October will bring us back to Illinois for Ken’s 50th high school reunion. We still want to boat in the Greek Islands and in the Caribbean. These will be charter trips. We plan to return to Europe sometime and we would like to go to Norway.
Oogachaka has not sold yet and it worries us that it is in Australia – so far from us. She has been getting some work done and should be on the market soon.
Jackie and Alan are coming to Texas from Tennessee for Christmas and Thomas will be flying in from Montana. We are all looking forward to Christmas! We hope all of you will be celebrating the holidays in some way and we wish you all good things for the new year.
We will miss this. It was so fun to meet all of you people in the boating world and to reconnect with people we knew in high school and other times in our lives.
I will never stop this feeling……………………….
Patty from Oogachaka
I know it’s been forever since I last blogged, and it is time to close things up. We’ve been pretty busy. First of all, moving our “stuff”around from a boat to a truck to a shipping place to a ship, and different “stuff” from a storage unit to a truck to a house you hope to buy — well, this just isn’t any fun.
In between crating and loading all this stuff, we made a week trip to Houston to see our grandchildren.
New Focus: Aurelia and TJ
Aurelia at dinosaur museum
TJ has a problem wearing pants all day.
From Houston, we flew to Boise – saw some friends and did some errands we needed to do. Had a good time. Wish I had taken some photos. From Boise we flew to Kalispell, Montana where our son, Thomas had left his car for us at the airport and we drove to Whitefish. We stayed there for a week, visiting with Thomas and we even took a trip to Glacier Park.
Then Thomas drove us down to Coeur d’Alene where we had our storage unit with all kinds of “stuff” that we saved after we sold our house. You’d think that if we lived without it for the last three years, we might not really need it. But we loaded another truck and we are now driving it down to Texas. We are in Salina, Kansas. Thomas helped us a lot with the loading. We are very happy to have that part finished.
Storage Unit in CDA
One more blog to go before this journey is completely over.
I can’t stop this feeling………………………
Sunday Sept 21 their time: ”Patty and I are flying to Houston on Thursday, leaving Oogachaka here in Pittwater where Andrew Coffey, Yacht Broker at the Quay’s, will handle the sale of our boat. We have mixed emotions as we prepare to leave the great adventure we have had aboard Oogachaka. We have met some great people along the way and look forward to staying in touch with you all. Thanks for your thoughts and kind words over the years.”
Patty & Ken Sebby MV/Oogachaka
We haven’t seen a kangaroo or a koala, but last night we met two real Australians. Brian and Chris, who are the first people to own a Krogen in Australia, came up here to Pittwater from South Sydney and took us out to dinner. They are really fun people and it was great to talk about our boats. They bought a Krogen 48 recently and when they met the Krogen people they heard about us. It was fun to be with them as they heaped praises on us for our accomplishments! And who doesn’t like that!
We have been very busy packing up the boat.
We have packed over 60 boxes of stuff that we plan to ship home on a freighter. We no longer have space to do anything and we are anxious to get this stuff out of here. Next step will be to clean the boat.
Hopefully, the next time I blog it will be with photos of a beautiful empty Oogachaka.
I can’t stop this feeling………………….
Patty on Oogachaka
We pulled into the harbor at Sydney and felt pretty darn good. Mission accomplished.
Here is the boat out in the ocean a couple days ago and I saw a ship. Ended up pretty close to him, but although he was under power, he was not moving.
Sydney appears to be a magnificent city.
Although we are now located north of the city in Pittwater, we hope to take the bus downtown several times and do some exploring. We have boat work to do first.
Here we are when we at last were tied up to our mooring ball and probably finished driving our Oogachaka forever.
Our plans now are to get the boat all cleaned up to sell. We have a broker, Andrew, and he has been taking great care of us so far. Yesterday he showed up in a 40 foot inflatable boat out in the ocean to welcome us to Australia. Today we had lunch and then he took us to a pharmacy, a supermarket, a phone store and a storage unit. I bought boxes and plan to start boxing things up and then store things until we are ready to freight them to Houston.
We hope to sell the boat in the next couple months and be home by Christmas. I happened to have an internet chat with my brother this morning and it made me realize that I am very homesick.
This has been an amazing experience! We will keep you all posted on our adventure here in Australia.
I can’t stop this feeling………………………
Patty on Oogachaka
We are in Noumea, New Caledonia and we are enjoying the town. Very French. I got my hair done in a place where they spoke only French and I love how it turned out. Of course, I can’t pouf it up the way he did, but it sure was a nice relaxing day.
Ken went to the chandlery while I did my hair and bought some pieces for the guy line up top. We’ve been here a week already and I’ve been doing a lot of packing.
We took a bus down to the south of town where all the beaches and tourists hang out and we had lunch in a revolving restaurant. Superb – a fabulous steak – maybe better than that great soup we had in Savusavu, Fiji.
I’ve also been spending time on the internet looking at houses in Texas. We had planned to look for a building we could set up as a studio and shop with housing upstairs but houses are very reasonable in Houston, so we are looking in Pearland where Matthew and Jamie would eventually like to buy.
Yesterday we went to the grocery store for our final provision.
We have been watching the weather between here and Sydney and it is looking good for a Monday departure. We have decided to go straight to Sydney, skipping Brisbane, since our broker is located there and it will be a more likely place to sell the boat. We will be about 10 days out on the ocean.
This photo was taken at the yacht club in Suva, our last stop in Fiji.
I can’t stop this feeling……………………………
Patty on Oogachaka
8/27/14 ”We made it to Sydney and were at the Customs and Border Protection dock by 8:00 a.m. local time. Three hours and almost $500.00 later we were officially checked in and we headed back out to go north about 16 miles to Pittwater, where our broker Andrew greeted us out in the ocean in 4 meter swells and 25 plus knots of wind in a 40 foot inflatable to lead us in to our mooring. Then he went to fetch his work boat for us to use to get back and forth to shore and showed us where the Yacht Club was to get something to eat. He also loaned us a WiFi stick to use. It certainly feels like we are in good hands with Andrew. We just got back in the dark but easily found OOGACHAKA which her blue LED lights guiding us. We are going to crash for the night and regroup tomorrow. Glad this part of the trip is behind us – way too much wind and waves for too many days in a row.”
Ken & Patty OOGACHAKA
At 6pm 8/25 their time: Ken wrote that all is well and that they were making 7.0 knots (40% faster than they have been). Their plotted position report puts them clearly on the track for Sydney. That puts them about 200 nautical miles from Sydney which is about 1.5 days travel.
8/24/14: Alan says…..Ken emailed at 4pm his time for a weather report. Passageweather.com indicated that the next few days the waves and wind will pick up on the track to Sydney. The Sydney forecast is for rain and midteens wind speeds starting Tuesday, Aug 26 and running thru Thursday. They continue to report “all is well”, but Ken said that he will not miss these long overnight passages. As they get closer to land, the traffic will pick up and they will have more to see (and watch out for). The image below shows their reported positions since leaving New Caledonia (the red line is a straight line to Sydney). It looks strange to me, and it appears now they have turned more toward Brisbane than Sydney. They have not said anything but Sydney, but maybe the attraction of nearer land is overtaking them.